Everything You Need To Know About Getting Microdermabrasion
By AMS Fulfillment
This piece is part of an on-going series in which we take a deep dive into our enhancement menu. Enhancements can be added to any 50 Minute or 75 Minute facial without an extra time needed. Each enhancement is $35.
We’re pretty picky about the enhancements that we make available at Heyday. We want to make sure that we give our clients treatments that we believe they’ll see real and lasting results from. Which is why we’re such big fans of microdermabrasion. This treatment offers both short and long-term results without making you miss a day at the office.
Microdermabrasion is a noninvasive procedure that exfoliates your skin, removing a layer of dead skin cells. With this layer gone, your body replaces these cells with new, healthier ones, leaving your skin softer and brighter. It’s the natural cycle of your cells, only sped up.
Microdermabrasion machines can buff and polish the skin using a stream of fine crystals or a diamond tip. Crystals allow us to control the flow and power with a dial; diamond doesn’t as much. That is why we’ve opted for the crystal-tipped machine. Our machines also feature a suction function, this allows it to work like a tiny sandblaster and a tiny vacuum at the same time. The crystals blast off the dead skin and are vacuumed right up by the machine (so you’re not a crystal dust mess).
Some parts of facials, like a good facial massage, are relaxing. Some parts, like extractions, aren’t but are there for good reason. Microdermabrasion falls into the latter category. Is it the most comfortable part of your facial? No. But as the treatment moves along, we find that you get used to the feeling rather quickly. Some of our clients have said that it feels like a cat’s tongue licking you or that it feels slightly itchy. However, it is not a burning sensation and if anything is at all uncomfortable while you’re undergoing microdermabrasion, always speak up. As professionals, we monitor live changes in your skin (and in your facial expressions), but we don’t know 100% what’s going on in your mind and want nothing more than to make you feel comfortable while we’re getting good work done.
Our Skin Therapists recommend often recommend microdermabrasion for clients who are concerned with hyperpigmentation or uneven skin tone and those who have sun damage or (acne) scarring that they’re hoping to fade over time. It is a great anti-aging procedure because it stimulates blood flow, which increases cell production and improves elasticity and texture, reducing lines and wrinkles, and helping to thicken your collagen. Also, like all types of exfoliation, it can help unlock clogged pores. But not all benefits take that long to see. Our Skin Therapist, Wanda, points out that, “it also helps dry skin increase sebum production for a healthier glow to the skin.” Not bad for an enhancement that doesn’t add any time to your facial!
Because of the nature of the enhancement, our Skin Therapists don’t usually recommend it if you have skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, and acne, as it can irritate the skin.
- Rosy skin afterward is perfectly normal right after your peel. Your treatment gave your skin healthy stimulation, and any flushness or light heat should calm by the next day.
- Pore detoxing. Your treatment helped purge debris that’s been trapped below a buildup of dead skin cells. If you follow proper post-care, any small breakouts you may experience shouldn’t linger (and you may see few to none at all!).
- Slightly drier skin. Minor flaking can occur. Moisturizer is your single most important tool for the next few days. Be consistent and be generous – it will help your skin recover quickly and will actually help keep you from breaking out unnecessarily.
- Smoother, softer, glowing skin. Your treatment revealed a fresh layer of skin cells and you’ll see and feel the difference.
What should I do post appointment?
- Generous sunscreen is an absolute must. You should do this every day, but it’s extra important now that some very youthful skin cells are at the surface.
- Treat your skin gently over the next several days. Use a gentle cleanser, avoid scrubbing motions, and gently pat your face dry after washing and/or showering (or with your workout towel).
- Moisturize like a maniac. Twice or more daily, and even in areas where you’ve been concerned about excess oil or buildup of blackheads. As long as the moisturizer is suited to your skin type, you’ll actually see a clearer result.
- Drink water! Keep those fresh skin cells hydrated from the inside out.
- For extra credit, use a gentle hydrating mask or balm at night.
What should I not do post-appointment?
- Avoid lengthy, direct sun exposure for 3 days (like major pool or beach time).
- Don’t exfoliate for another 3-5 days. No scrubs, at-home peels, no matter how gentle. Also, don’t wax or receive any laser treatments for 5 days. For gents, don’t shave for 24 hours.
- As fit as you are, avoid heavy sweating workouts on the same day (bikram yoga, major cardio, etc.). Nothing will happen with your skin, but your sweat may cause stinging and just be uncomfortable. If you must go, do not ‘wipe’ your face with a towel – pat it gently. Avoid saunas and steam rooms for the same reason.
- Avoid products with retinol, Vitamin C, AHA/BHA acids, benzoyl peroxide.
Help Heyday help members of the Los Angeles community who are currently displaced by the Woolsey Fire.
We got you! Speak soon, The Heyday Team
Hi Gina! Where are you from? Middletown, NY So how did you get into skincare? I took a kind of winding route into skincare, although I had alwa...
We have a lot of moms on our team at Heyday. In honor of them, our moms, and the people we love like a mother, we put together a quick guide to wha...