What Is Niacinamide?
Niacinamide is a brightening, hyperpigmentation-fading, hydration-boosting, fine line-smoothing, acne-healing (yes, all of those things!) ingredient beloved by skincare experts and enthusiasts alike. Not only does it have a ton of benefits, but it also plays well with other ingredients, and virtually anyone can use it.
To those who’ve experienced sensitization from vitamin C, hydroquinone, or other brightening ingredients — this ingredient should make your ears perk up. It evens skin tones and brightens, without the irritation that may accompany other ingredients who share the same goal.
- Is a vitamin B3 derivative
- Is water-soluble and very stable in formulations
- Acts as an antioxidant (which help protect the skin from UV damage and free radicals)
- Is easily absorbed by the outside layer of our skin
Niacinamide is an amazing ingredient that strengthens the skin's barrier, restores moisture, reduces pore size, and brightens. It also works well with most other active ingredients, making it a great addition to any product.” - Jeni Montoya, Heyday Skincare Educator
Top 5 Benefits of Niacinamide:
This ingredient’s benefits are innumerable — but let us count a few ways:
- Decreases inflammation + sebum production to treat acne and breakouts
- Strengthens the skin barrier and keeps it hydrated
- Decreases fine lines + wrinkles, and improves elasticity
- Reduces hyperpigmentation from breakouts or age spots
- Decreases redness + blotchiness
Add Niacinamide To Your Routine If You...
- Want to streamline your routine with a multitasking ingredient
- Are looking for a non-irritating skin brightener
- Have any skin type! It’s gentle enough for even the most sensitive types
Products With Niacinamide In Them:
Sunscreen: Dermalogica’s Oil Free Matte SPF 30
This SPF defends against sun damage with a sheer formula, while niacinamide works to reduce acne, excess oil, and inflammation.
Night Cream: Epara’s Moisturising Face Cream
This night cream heals scars and sun damage. The niacinamide in it reduces the appearance of fine lines.
The niacinamide in this serum brightens hyperpigmentation and calms irritation, while the rest of the ingredients restore balance and hydration.
Dark Spot Treatment: Hero Cosmetics’ Micropoint for Dark Spots
The niacinamide in this spot treatment fades hyperpigmentation, brightening post-blemish spots in just a few uses.
Sheet Mask: Joanna Vargas Forever Glow Anti-Aging Face Mask
Niacinamide works to plump fine lines and wrinkles, prolonging a youthful glow with ultra-hydrating ingredients.
Exfoliant: Moon Juice’s Acid Potion
The niacinamide in this exfoliant minimizes fine lines and regulates oil production, refining pores and clearing follicles of debris/bacteria.
Things To Keep In Mind:
- It’s a myth that you shouldn’t use both vitamin C and niacinamide together in your routine, but if you’re experiencing sensitivity, use one in the morning and one at night.
- Because some of these benefits are longer-term projects (i.e. fading hyperpigmentation, smoothing fine lines), you’ll need to be patient with these products to get the results you’re looking for.
Who should use it, and when?